Cleveland Tower & the Carillon
The dominant presence overlooking Springdale Golf Club is the 173-foot Cleveland Tower which is one of the principal structures of the Princeton University Graduate College complex. An outstanding example of collegiate gothic architecture, it sits on a high point of land adjacent to the 6th and 7th holes and can be seen from virtually every corner of the golf course. Erected as a memorial to U.S. President Grover Cleveland, the tower was dedicated in 1913 along with the Graduate College itself – the first post-graduate residential college for liberal studies of its kind in America.
Housed within Cleveland Tower is a bell tower. The original 35-bell carillon was a gift by the Class of 1892 which presented the bells as their 35th reunion dedication to Princeton University in June 1927. Over succeeding decades, the number of bells has increased to 67 bells and a 6-ton bourdon making it one of the largest carillons in the world. Restored and rededicated in June 1993, the carillon can now regularly be heard when it is played on Sundays and weekdays by the university carillonneur, students, and international guest musicians, except during exam periods.